Which Social Media Platform Should I Use?

There’s no doubt about it, love it or hate it, social media is a valid and valuable means of connecting with your customers or clients. But there are so many choices – it can be overwhelming, time-consuming and nerve-wracking.

But don’t throw the baby out with the bath water. You don’t have to commit to ALL social media platforms. Choose one or two that resonate with you and focus on those. If you are a visual person or have a visual business, Instagram is your friend. If you like sharing tidbits of textual info, go with Twitter. Facebook can be the best of all worlds but takes a bit more work to engage your customers.

Once you commit to your chosen platform, set aside an hour or two per week and then plan out your social media posts for the week. Perhaps commit to doing certain posts at the same time and day each week. And then monitor the engagement. Do you get more likes on funny posts? In the morning? On a Friday? Once you have an idea of what works, stick to it.

Don’t forget that social media is about connecting with your audience. It’s not about pushing sales. Go with the 80/20 rule – make 80% of your posts helpful, interesting or personal posts and the other 20% (or less) promotional. Don’t spam your customers or they’ll drop you like a spam sandwich.

Leave a Reply